A dental emergency can be frightening, especially when it's your child experiencing the problem. However, knowing what to do in a dental emergency can be the key to a successful outcome. Be sure to follow these tips during a dental emergency to ensure your child gets the proper care they need to keep their smile healthy and strong:
- Stay calm: When you are calm, your child is calm. Be sure to keep the two of you at ease throughout the entire process to help reduce stress and anxiety.
- Keep knocked out teeth moist: If your child knocked out one of their permanent teeth, keep it moist until you see our dentists. Depending on the situation, we may be able to save and reattach the tooth.
- Keep affected areas clean: If your child knocked out a tooth, sustained an oral injury or developed an infection, keep the affected areas clean by rinsing with warm water.
- Use cold compress to reduce swelling: A cold compress can be useful in reducing inflammation. Apply to the side of the face affected by the dental problem.
- Contact DeWitt Dental Associates: By calling our office immediately, we will be able to assist you and your child during your dental emergency.
At DeWitt Dental Associates, we provide patients with emergency dental care. Although we are not staffed 24/7, we will do our best to get you and your child in our office as soon as possible. We understand that addressing dental problems quickly can help prevent further health issues and discomfort.
However, if you feel that you are experiencing a true medical emergency, be sure to go to the emergency room or call 911.
If you are in the Denver area and believe your child is experiencing a dental emergency, give our office a call at 303-321-5656. Our dentists will get you in our office as quickly as we can.